By Shawna M. Quinn
Via ear-splitting, thunderous explosions and frightened eerie flashes within the distance, the nurses of the Canadian military Nursing carrier in global conflict I waited for the inevitable arrival of wounded squaddies. on the Casualty Clearing homes, they labored at a feverish velocity to offer emergency deal with bleeding gashes, damaged and lacking limbs, and the devastating accidents of conflict. Exploring the various ways that proficient and volunteer nurses gave their time, skills, or even their lives to the 1st international struggle attempt, Shawna M. Quinn considers the reviews of recent Brunswick’s nursing sisters — the gruelling stipulations of labor and the brutal realities they confronted from attainable assaults and bombings. utilizing letters, diaries, and released bills, Quinn paints an entire photo of the adventurous younger ladies who witnessed first-hand the horrors of the nice conflict.
Read or Download Agnes Warner and the Nursing Sisters of the Great War PDF
Best history books
John Eppler notion himself to be the correct undercover agent. Born to German mom and dad, he grew up in Egypt, followed by way of a filthy rich relations and used to be informed in Europe. Fluent in German, English and Arabic, he made the Hadj to Mecca yet used to be extra at domestic in excessive society or traveling the barren region on camelback together with his followed Bedouin tribe.
Retail pdf from OverDrive
2001 variation, 1988 unique Release
Now reissued with a CD and wall chart! Eyewitness hands and Armor is an unique and interesting examine the historical past of guns and armor throughout the a long time. lovely real-life photos exhibit the layout, building, and workings of armor, delivering a special "eyewitness" view of ways equipment of struggle have replaced.
In a desirable "urban biography," Michael Hamm tells the tale of 1 of Europe's so much assorted towns and its certain mixture of Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, and Jewish population. A most suitable city heart in medieval occasions, Kiev grew to become an incredible city in past due Imperial Russia, and is now the capital of self sufficient Ukraine.
From Amazon: "This paintings is the author's perception into the 1943 movie Cat humans. Made by way of the group Val Lewton and Jaques Tourner, the movie is known for its eliptical style--its emphasis at the terrors of what's now not obvious. half gothic myth, half psychosexual drama, it's the dream of metamorphosis.
- A History of Modern Europe: From 1815 to the Present
- Intermediate History: Immigrants & Exiles: Scotland 1830s-1930s
- Paper: Paging Through History
- Andersonville: The Last Depot
Extra resources for Agnes Warner and the Nursing Sisters of the Great War
35. At first they were merely spots on the face; later they probably became protruding lumps. The Queen’s Attorney discovered such spots in 1566 (1566 Pamphlet, p. 323), and a group of women searched for the mark in 1582 (1582 Pamphlet, sig. D4). There is a detailed description of such a search, carried out in 1650, in case 843. 36. For instance, the wording of the 1697 edition of Michael Dalton’s Countrey Justice is exactly the same as the 1630 edition, which, in turn, had been based, at least in its description of how to find a witch, on Bernard’s Guide.
17. 5. Notestein, Witchcraft, p. x. 6. Ewen, I. Without Ewen’s accurate and energetic work in transcribing witchcraft cases, much of the forthcoming analysis would have been impossible. 7. As explained in a prefatory note, the word ‘witch’ will be used for the longer phrase, ‘a person thought to be a witch by her contemporaries’. The use of the word in no way implies that there really are or were witches. 8. Ewen, II. 9. See, for example, the works by Lea and Robbins listed on p. 322 of the Bibliography.
The legal background to witchcraft prosecutions at the secular courts 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 21 Calendar of State Papers, Domestic, 1547–1580, p. 173. s. vii (1893), p. 22. Cases 1 and 2. 1 James I, cap. 12; 9 George II, cap. 5. There is a useful discussion of the background to the 1563 Act in Kittredge, Witchcraft, pp. 255–61. Statistics in Ewen, I, showing that prosecutions in the Home Circuit declined under James I, as well as an excellent defence of James by Kittredge (Witchcraft, ch.
Agnes Warner and the Nursing Sisters of the Great War by Shawna M. Quinn